Nissequogue Club was founded by a small group of investors in 1966 on over 120 acres of land previously owned by William J. Ryan. Mr. Ryan was the owner and publisher of “Literary Digest” a widely read and highly respected magazine in the 1930’s and 40’s. The present clubhouse was originally constructed in 1929 as the main house of the Ryan estate.
In 1988 a fire nearly destroyed the clubhouse. Following the fire the clubhouse was renovated with the addition of the Grill Room and a locker room on the lower level. The Harbor Room was also added to the main level. Also on the main floor are the Members’ Dining Room, Crystal Room, Breakfast Room, Main Bar (which was originally the library of the Ryan family), Living Room and Solarium. On the west end of the main floor is a state-of-the-art kitchen facility. The second level, reached by a winding staircase from the main foyer features a sitting room, ladies locker room, board room, business office and suites which are available to overnight guests of members. The second level also offers spectacular views of the golf course and St. James Bay.
In 1999, ownership of the Club was restructured. The members approved the redemption of the existing subvention certificates (57% of which were owned by non-members) and the simultaneous issuance of proprietary bonds. This effectively placed the ownership of the Club in the hands of the membership.
As a result of that action, a long-range planning committee was established to address the needs of the Club. Through a membership survey it was determined that a renovation of the golf course and improvements to the clubhouse were priorities. Renowned golf course architect, Stephen Kay, was retained to develop a master plan for the golf course renovation which was unanimously approved. Over the next three years Mr. Kay supervised the implementation of his master plan resulting in a 6,643 yard par 72 championship golf course.
In the spring of 2001, a 3,000 square foot patio and barbecue area was added as well as a screened-in dining area on the existing east porch. With its panoramic view of St. James Bay and the golf course, the Bay Patio is an attractive and popular dining area.
Although golf is the main sport at Nissequogue, tennis is also very popular. The four expertly maintained Har-Tru courts are located just beyond the east side of the clubhouse. The Club also has House memberships for those who wish to partake in the dining facilities and social calendar.
The Club is presided over by the elected officers and governors. A staff of eighty employees, led by professionals in many fields, including a General Manager, Clubhouse Manager, Golf Course Superintendent, Golf Professional, Tennis Professional and Controller, are responsible for maintaining the highest standards and enhancing our reputation as one of the premier golf clubs on Long Island.